Top 10 Catfish Baits that isn't Sonny's
It's no secret that when you want to land a catfish, Sonny's bait is the best weapon in your tackle box. Their Super Sticky Channel Cat Bait (available in original and blood flavor) is our best-selling brand of catfish bait, and you'd be hard-pressed to find an angler who doesn't recommend Sonny's for catfishing. But let's face it — they're not the only bait for reeling in some tasty channel cats. There are plenty of high-performing baits that will give Sonny's a run for its money, and we've compiled the top 10 below.
Catfish can sense nearby food thanks to a high number of odor-detecting sensors, so the more revolting the smell, the better the results. But at Farm and Home Supply, we have bait so appealing to catfish, you'll never consider chicken liver again.
The top 10 catfish baits on the market today:
- Bee'-Jay Bait Co. Inc., Catfish Dough Bait: This stink bait boasts a secret blend of ingredients that causes catfish to want to feed, even when they're not hungry. Available in original, garlic and blood formula, the pungent scent continually releases into the water and immediately attracts catfish to your line.
- Bee'-Jay Bait Co. Inc. Catfish Dip Bait: Another top-selling stink bait, this is Bee'-Jay Bait's latest offering — a cheese-based dip proven to attract catfish in lakes, rivers and streams. While the scent is putrid - as it should be — this dip bait is easy to apply and never leaves a mess.
- Berkley PowerBait Catfish Bait Chunks 6-ounce Cut Shad: Shad has long been relied upon for snagging catfish, but this bait from Berkley actually causes the fish to hold onto the line approximately 18 times longer, so even amateur fishermen can have a successful day out on the lake.
- Berkley Gulp! Catfish Chunks Bait: Available in blood and liver flavor, this soft bait has approximately 400 times more scent distribution than plastic baits and lures. Catfish cannot ignore the scent when it hits the water. This biodegradable bait performed better than live bait in head-to-head field tests, making it one of the best on the market.
- Berkley PowerBait Catfish Attractant: Spray this water-soluble attractant on one of your lures and you'll be landing catfish in no time. You can also use it on live bait to enhance the scent, making it more inviting to your soon-to-be catch.
- Berkley Gulp! Alive! Attractant: Available in a variety of different scents, spray this attractant on live or plastic bait to increase the scent and make your bait more effective. Try the crawfish scent; it's a favorite among catfish.
- Berkley PowerBait Power Eggs: These fluorescent eggs make it easy to catch your prey. One glance, and fish are immediately interested, so it won't take long for you to get a few bites.
- K&E Catfish Bait Tube: This lure is made of durable tubing and features a number of scent-releasing holes, perfect for using with dip baits. It's rigged with a leader and a #6 bronze treble hook.
- K&E Catfish Dipper: Available in bright chartreuse or red, this soft plastic bait dipper features a bronze treble hook and a number of holes to hold onto the bait even longer.
- Rapala Kicking' Minnow 4" Firetiger Fishing Lure: This lure boasts 3-D holographic eyes and realistic colors that tempt catfish into biting on your line.